Why isn't Rev more popular?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 6 18:18:46 EST 2005

Thomas McGrath III, before get started I want to thank you for posting
your pics to frappr.  Your two pictures are a great compliment to one
another:  one looks like the serious philosopher, the other like a kid
having so much fun he might burst.   Good stuff. :)

This hit home with me, as I've wrestled with mouse-message issues myself
in some apps:

> Sure I had a few glitches along the way what with mouseDown hogging  all
> of the messages and Unicode not working with text search filters.  But
> at least it seems the Unicode will get better as time goes on and  I
> have yet to figure out the altBrowser usage but it is still on my
> horizon. Now if someone at Runtime would see the usefulness of at  least
> one flavor of MouseDown passing it's message along instead of  back to
> the original target, or a new penDown message etc., then I  could really
> start building solutions for the PDA and SmartPhone  industry. My
> solution worked but had a level of complexity that was  not needed in my
> opinion. I feel I could do an even better job if the  mouseDown/penDown
> worked the way it does on a PDA/phone. And the more  experience I get
> with REV then the more solutions I can put out.

It can be tricky to implement, but have you considered changing your
mouseDown handler to a mouseMove handler instead?  That way you still
get other messages in between mouseMove messages.

I had to do something like that for part of an app recently, and while I
was at first afraid it would be too computationally expenses I was
impressed with Rev's graceful handling of whatever I threw at it.  I
have a lot happening on mouseMove, and haven't yet run into a wall with it.

> This market is just exploding. The palm had tens of thousands of
> downloads for UI enhancements and if I could do the same with my  ideas
> in SmartPhones it would open it up for many Revbuilders.

Let's see if we can make that happen.

My clients would kill me if I took time right now to even look at
anything other than their code, but hopefully others here are more
organized and in a better position to help with some code review.

In the meantime, any snippets you can share here for refinement are
always a good time -- I love watching how different minds contribute to
refining algos.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal