Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?"

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Dec 6 17:54:40 EST 2005

Bill and Thomas,

I'm sure I'm missing something here. I do understand about the problems
with rotate image (though we have an external in house which works in
Rev and does just fine).

But, as one who has played around with widgets for Konfabulator, I'm not
sure I quite get what you all are after? To create slick GUI's, both
Konfab and RunRev have to use Photoshop to create transparent PNG's.
Both have the ability to use the PNG's as window shapes on the desktop.
While admittedly Rev's IDE may be somewhat older (check out
Constellation lately?), Konfab doesn't even have an IDE. All Konfab does
is use the XML and embedded javascript to render the widget when it's
launched.

If the issue is why don't more apps appear like Konfab then you might
ask that of *every* development language around, not just RunRev. I can
tell you-- it's because it takes a lot of skill to make a 'gorgeous'
interface and early on, that's what Arlo and the founders of Konfab
focussed on. Skill which can be learned. There are a few tools for Rev
which help- Interface Designer for instance:

www.gadgetplugins.com/InterfaceDesign/preview/interface_design_preview.html

Here's a web page of a bunch of interfaces done with Rev. While they're
not Konfabulator, some of them are (IMO) pretty nice.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRevCaseStudies/Screenshots.htm

Also, I've built a number of 'skinnable' apps which is pretty easy in
Rev as well (Konfab is 'skinnable' too).

I've made a number of 'widgets' for my family and friends, some nicer
than others:

HemTools (PC screen capture)
http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/HemTools/HemTools.htm

ImageGadget (simple PC image editor)
http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/HemTools/ImageGadget.htm

SetVolume (PC volume widget)
http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/HemTools/SetVolume.htm

If I really wanted to, I don't think I'd have a problem giving any of
them the Konfabulator 'look'
see tutorial at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit/GlossyTutorial/default.htm

HTH,