Changing the Layer/Resizing Controls

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 6 10:16:26 EST 2005

>  > Is it just me or is it incredibly hard to change the layer order of a
>>  Group or Control in the lastest version of RunRev? The previous
>>  version was pretty hard but latest version is just terrible.
>
>no, it's the way to approach it that is wrong IMOHO...
>
>>  So, maybe I am doing something wrong:
>>
>>  If I have a control that is outside of all groups on the card, what
>>  is the recommended way in the IDE to change the layer so that the
>>  control is inside a group?
>
>cut the object, and using the right click (control click on macs), select
>teh group where you want to insert the group and use "paste objects in
>group"...
>
>Actually, i used to do that but noticed that if i wanted my control to be
>lower in the layers of the group, it is easier to:
>cut the object, edit the group, paste the object and send it to the
>back...

Ok, I will try this next time I edit a group like that, the thing is
sometimes I want the control at a specific layer in the group. For
instance if I have a group that contains enterable fields and I want
to add a new one, I want it at a specific place in the group so that
the Tab key works logically. This seems incredibly hard to acheive.

>  > I have tried setting the relayerGroupedControls property to true in
>>  the message box, but even if I do this, the control will not move via
>>  the Layer Up/Down buttons in the Property Inspector.  Sometimes I can
>>  get it to move once, e.g.  down one layer (from the last item in the
>>  card to the last item in the last group of the card), but after this
>>  it just refuses to move anymore!
>
>To put an object in a group, and assuming the object is in a higher
>layer than the group you want to move it to
>
>set the layer of thisobject to the layer of thisgroup+1
>
>The group is layer x, any object inside it is x+... < next layer
>out of the group...

Sorry, I don't understand this, what if I have a control in a another
group that is lower than the group I want to move the control to?

In the previous version of RunRev, you could set
relayerGroupedControls to true, selected the control and then move it
via the layer arrows in the property inspector, why can't I do this
now? It seems a *lot* easier than the other methods.

>>  Also, is there a secret to using the Property Inspector Size and
>>  Position pane effectively?
>
>non-locked Groups will resize to their top-bottom-left and right most
>controls
>to fit them in. If you move an object (selectedgroup mode off - meaning
>you
>select objects inside of groups) it may or may not resize the group...
>
>Set first the controls inside teh group to their position, then lock the
>group's
>location.
>
>If the controls in the group are going to change place, dont lock the
>group...
>but you might have to resize it manually eventually at some point. Mileage
>may
>vary...

It really just seems that there is no way to achieve what I want to
do in the IDE, I have been trying to do this now for about 45 mins!

I have a group that with some text  locatated at the top, this needs
to be X Pixels down from the Top Border of the group. To do this I
must set the "lockLoc" property of the group, otherwise the top of
the group moves down so that the gap is now less than X.

At the bottom of the Group I have a Rectangle, which is Y pixels in
height and I want to increase the height to Z pixels. If I increase
the height, the bottom gets truncated to the bottom of the group,
unless I set lockLoc to false, and, if I do that, then the top moves!
Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Is there a way of doing this or is it impossible and I'm just wasting my time?

I have a Stack that needs some modifications. Basically there were 4
groups originally and now this needs to be comdensed into 3 groups
which meants controls being moved into the other groups which means
resizing and relocating the groups and controls. It just seems so
hard to do this simple task, and, for some reason (apart from the
Layer Arrows not working), it seemed a lot easier in the previous
version of RunRev.

Thanks a lot for your help
All the Best
Dave