Why isn't Rev more popular?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Dec 5 15:28:22 EST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Hershel Fisch wrote:

> And then what's going to be,if a professional programmer can't even
> write a
> simple print without the user should have to intervene to choose
> printers
> and styles and and ....
> Or if wanted to add a timer constant running from when the
> application is
> launched.
> Rev is good for games or so. Sorry.
>
> Rev is not at the state of being used for commercial business
> applications.

Hershel,

many developers here deployed more than one business application
built with Rev. I deployed a project manager that was network savvy
and database aware. As for your print problem, well, it's good
manager to ask the user for printers, here I have three printers, one
real and two networked ones, I expect that software will ask me where
to print. I don't know what's the problem with your timer issue, I
use lots of timers, the send in time function is as easy as a timer
can get, it's not safe for Real Time stuff like medical appliances
but Rev does not run on any operating system that targets real time
machines such as medical ones and sensor engineering ones....

I have seen more business applications being deployed with Rev than
games, sorry to spoil your hopes... Revolution is as safe as any good
language for business applications, you have access to database,
networking and encryption, the only missing options is thread
spawning but we can do a lot of things without multiple threads, most
business apps don't need multiple threads beyond the message mechanics.

  cheers
andre