Why isn't Rev more popular?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 3 00:46:20 EST 2005

Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> writes:

> Marty-
>
> Friday, December 2, 2005, 12:34:39 PM, you wrote:
>
> > My (young) students find this difficult.  There are many ways in which
> > Transcript could be even more english-like.
>
> Yes, but I'm not sure English is something to strive for. At least we
> don't have any irregular verbs in xtalk.

I really appreciate the fact that you can write
  add 1 to Score
instead of
  Score = Score + 1

It's much more intuitive for my students.

They even get away with:
  put one into Score
  add one to Score
and the result is 2

With regard to my previous post, students think that if they can say
  hide field "xxx"
then they ought to be able to say
  if field "xxx" is hidden ...
or
  if field "xxx" is invisible ...
or
  if field "xxx" is not visible...
but having to create a construct like
  if the visible of field "xxx" is false ...
really baffles them.  In this way I think Transcript could indeed be
more English-like.

Oh well, RR isn't intended for raw beginners.....is it? :-)

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools