CGI Question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 31 19:17:16 EDT 2005

Gregory Lypny wrote:

> I'm simply
> trying to gather data from a form, redisplay it on a web page, and  save
> it in a field in the stack.  The problem is that writing to a  field
> gives me an error.  If I comment-out the sixth line from the  end, that is,
>
>     put webOutput into fld "Another List"
>
> it works fine; but when I reinstate it, I get a server error.  What  am
> I doing wrong?

It's been my experience that you need to either set the defaultstack to
the one you want to write to, or else specify a full reference. That is,
do something like:

  put webOutput into fld "another list" of cd 1 of stack "myCGIstack"

Also, if the stack doesn't have the correct permissions set then you
won't be able to write to it. (Also don't forget to save the stack to
disk, because when the CGI terminates the stack will be closed.)

Take a look at the web server's error log, you should see a more exact
description in there of what the problem is. If the server isn't on our
own machine, you'll have to find where your ISP keeps the log. Virtually
all of them allow you to see it via a control panel or something similar.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com