mainStack scripts, now Windows??

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Aug 31 08:19:10 EDT 2005

Hi Lars,

Rev is cross-platform and claims that you can build Windows apps from
Mac OS (or the opposite): as for the "process", that's true.
But I have to confess that I have never have been able to build a
satisfying stack without working again on the destination platform.
I am used to work on MacOS and my experience tells me that I need to
give between 10 and 20% of the spent time passed on MacOS to revise
it on a Windows machine to get a satisfying Win XP version.
In addition, you will have to solve some issues coming from
differences between the numerous Win versions: a stack that runs
correctly with XP will probably have some "cosmetic" problems (colors
display for instance) with Windows 2000.
Rev is cross-platform but always requires adjustments for each platform.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 31 août 05 à 13:58, Lars Brehmer a écrit :

> I thank Richard, Eric and Robert for their concise expalnations and
> help.   Now that I have followed that advice (a different stack
> with no script is now the mainStack) I'm happy as a clam.  One more
> thing though;
>
> One of the reasons I made the major changes to my project was to
> try to make the Windows version run better.  I work on a Mac (OSX.
> 4.2) and was a little shocked to see the newest Windows
> standalone.  I hadn't done one for many months after I originally
> convinced myself it would work in Windows.  Now that the program
> has grown and morphed into something far better and is nearing
> completion, I made another Windows build.  I always knew I would
> need to buy Rev for Windows, at least to get the fonts looking
> their "best," but I was a little disappointed when I launched it.
> On my Mac it is flawless, but on windows, so many things flicker
> and stacks in the backgound flash black when buttons are clicked in
> other stacks.  And my mainStack flickers black when I navigate in
> it.  Now, the background of the stack is black, and  the mask that
> provides the windowShape is black, so a black flash makes sense,
> but why does it flash at all? I mean, sometines two side by side
> buttons, whose icons were made in Photoshop and other than their
> labels are indentical have tow different color shades!!!  All of
> this before AND after the mainStack script thing.
>
> What can I expect from Rev for Windows?  Does a windows standalone
> built in Windows function better?  Will I be able to solve these
> problems working in Windows?  Has anyone out there built an app on
> a make and found this type of behavior in a windows sandalone?  How
> did you fix it?  I have little Windows experience, heck, maybe it's
> the machine (cheap HP laptog, XP Home, 1.4 ghz Celeron, enough memory)
>
> Any advice before I shell out the cash for my second platform copy
> of Rev?
>
> As always, tips are appreciated, and in this case, being begged for!

So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86