string format

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Aug 27 19:49:28 EDT 2005

Marielle Lange wrote:

> There was some discussion not long ago on how to add spaces such that
> a string fills a given fixed length. I discovered today that it was
> in fact possible to use the equivalent of the sprintf command found
> in c:

The format function is indeed very useful - but I don't think it can be
used to solve the particular problem of adding spaces after a string to
fill it out to a specified length.

Or at least - when I was looking at the problem the other day, one of
the alternatives I considered was "format", but I couldn't see a way to
use it to solve this problem :-)