CGI permissions

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 19:43:11 EDT 2005

On 28 Aug 2005, at 00:19, Mark Smith wrote:

> No, this is still all on one machine (Mac Powerbook with 10.3.9).
> The files are in a folder on the desktop and the CGI is in the /
> Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables folder. I'm just pointing my
> browser at localhost.
>
> I've tried (whilst in the IDE) importing all the data into
> customProperties in the CGI, and that works, but I can't actually
> get the CGI to sucessfully open and read any files, even if I copy
> them into the same CGI-Executables folder and set their permissions
> to 755.
> It can, however, get the list of files from the folder they're in,
> so I'm pretty sure my paths are fine.

You said you had set the Desktop folder to 644. I don't think that's
a good move. However, if the files are in the CGI-Executables folder,
and have permissions set to 755, they should be readable. Are they
loose in the CGI-Executables, and not in a sub-folder? If they're in
a subfolder, check the permissions on that.

How are you reading the files? Are you sure the read is failing, and
not what you do with the data after you read it? What do you get in
"the result" after trying to read the file? I'm guessing it's
different in the CGI than in the IDE.

Cheers
Dave