set rect of fld f1 of cd c1 of wd w1 to rect of fld f2 of cd c2 of wd w2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 26 14:21:13 EDT 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>>> How about the opposite? Stop using the *long* form... it means less
>>> typing and you get the same effect (see your subject line)...
>>
>> A Modest Proposal:
>>
>> How about if we eliminate both and enforce just a single-character
>> typing convention for objects and numeric values only for object
>> identification? That way "field 3 of card 7" would come out to "f3c7"
>> for a minimum of typing.
> <tomato>
>   HEAVE. SPLAT!!
> </tomato>

That was pretty much my reaction to the suggest of eliminating the more
efficient form of object tokens.

I write my own script editor so it's not hard for me to make my own
replace routine on save.

But I fear for Mr. Waddingham when the citizens storm the Edinburgh
offices with torches and pitchforks after discovering that the code
style they've been using for years is no longer supported. ;)

I like Mark, I don't want to see any harm come to him.

I appreciate the relationship between the size of the token table and
execution efficiency.  But does this one really affect speed?  It would
seem more of a compilation issue than execution, since "button" and
"btn" could both be tokenized to the same internal symbol.

Maybe this calls for a transition from runtime compilation to up-front
compilation (at least as an option), which might open many other doors
besides....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation