write fails

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu Aug 25 14:37:02 EDT 2005

At 1:18 PM -0500 8/25/2005, Ken Ray wrote:
>apparently the engine doesn't require there to be a space after keywords
>where there is something to evaluate that follows.

[...]

>   repeat while(x+1) < 10
>   put word(x+1) of "This is a test"
>
>Although this is consistent, it still *looks* wrong to me... it looks like
>"while" and "word" are functions in the example above. Is it just me, or is
>this a bug that has been in the engine for a long time?

Well, it's been in the engine a long time. I'm not sure I'd
categorize it as a bug, per se... more of a "forgiveness" feature of
the parser. This kind of forgiveness appears in other areas too - for
example, you can write "firstVar&&secondVar" with no spaces, or "get
rect of field 1" (with no "the") and it will work.

I think the upside is that the syntax is a little looser, but the
downside is that someone may get used to an erroneous way of writing
code, only to get into trouble if it gets tightened up down the
line....
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com