Revolution under Ubuntu Linux?

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 25 10:14:04 EDT 2005

Folks I agree with what Bob has written here:

> Didn't you ask that same question a few days back? Or was it
> somebody else?
>
> I am using Ubuntu Linux (with the Gnome interface), but not Kubuntu
> (that
> uses KDE).
> RR 2.6 runs with absolutely no trouble on my machine, with no
> necessity for
> the possible "tuning" that Pierre mentioned (though I'm not quite
> sure what
> he meant by that). However, I haven't done any extensive
> programming in
> Ubuntu yet, as my trial license for RR is about to run out, and I
> don't
> intend to buy it until the Linux altBrowser is available.

The only thing I had to do special was as follows:  I'm running
Ubuntu on an AMD64 system.  Running RR worked just fine except that I
couldn't connect to the MySQL database that I'm using.  I tracked the
problem down to the fact that RR requires some external libraries for
certain tasks.  And since RR is built for 32-bit systems, it needed
the 32-bit libraries.

So the simple solution was just to set up a chroot environment for RR
to run under.  Doing that corrected the problem and so now it plays
nicely with the rest of the system.

--gordy

P.S. - I would love to have a 64-bit RR build for Linux! :-)

P.P.S. - If anyone needs help setting up a chroot environment, please
see my instructions here:

http://www.gordontillman.info/index.php?n=OperatingSystems.UbuntuChroot