Problem with Set Script in Compiled App

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 24 14:13:56 EDT 2005

David Burgun wrote:
>>> 2.  We want to be able to compare and exchange scripts from previous
>>> versions and to track the deleteion and additions of objects to the
>>> stack.
>>
>> This can be done easily in development -- why is that development task
>> better served in your workflow from a standalone?
>
> Because it will be performed by a different department and they require
> a standalone app.

DreamCard is a standalone app.  You can make a plugin that runs
automatically when it's launch and it looks and behaves exactly as you
like, but with no script limit -- for just $99 per seat.

What specific benefits are they asking for with the requirement for a
"standalone"?

>> Overall it seems the historical investment in tools designed for
>> traditional text-only languages is where you're having dificulty
>> making the parts fit with Rev.
>

> Not really, the tools are recent and valid for wide range of languages
> including RunRev, in fact with the exception of the 10 line limit in
> restoring scripts, the export operation works just fine with the tools
> and adds a whole lot of power that is missing from the RunRev system.

What does it do for you that can't be done directly in Rev?

I'm not arguing the point; the question is sincere.  In my experience
I've not come across a workflow like yours, even managing teams with
sizes ranging from 2 to 20 programmers with about as many others doing
writing, graphics, video production, etc.

Unless the specifics of your workflow are so vertical that they're only
useful to the org you work in, my hunch is that if we can understand
what specific benefits your system provides we can explore ways to
support that more easily in Rev, for the benefit of other large-team
projects.

> The only problem is the 10 line limit which we are hoping to addresss in
> the form of a license.

If cost is not problem that's probably the simplest.

But if you feel what you need to support your workflow can also benefit
other teams, I'd definitely like to learn more about it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal