Cell phones

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Aug 24 12:55:43 EDT 2005

On 8/24/05 12:43 AM, "Thomas McCarthy" <tominjapan at excite.com> wrote:

> 1: I imagine most students check their email via cell phones. Don't laugh, but
> I don't have one (and yes, I'm in Japan--even my toilet has one). Can cell
> phones accept / respond to html mail? (my doubt-meter is in the red zone)
>
> 2: What are the basic pixel dimentions of a cell display? Should I concern
> myself?
>
> 3: What kind of media can the newer phones handle. I've heard mpeg4.

I think the problem is that you can just refer to "cell phones" as a group -
there are many different kinds of phones, including those that are phone/PDA
combos (like the MS Smartphones, or the Palm Treos), that have different
features and capabilities.

Whether or not a cell phone can accept HTML mail is based on the mail
software used for a particular phone; similarly the pixel dimensions of the
phone display varies, as does the ability to play media.

I know that's not much help, but *in general*, simple cell phones cannot
display HTML, can't play movies or MP3s (just ringtones), and the pixel
display is something around 240x240 (mine is 240x320).

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/