Problem with Set Script in Compiled App

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Aug 24 11:18:04 EDT 2005

David Burgun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are a number of reasons to extract the Scripts of RunRev Objects
> into seperate text files:
>
> 1.  We have to check files into a Source Database (Source Control
> System) and Binary Files are not handlied that well.
> <snip>
> 6  We want to write an "include" file pre-processor that grabs
> functions from a Common Include file.
>
> There are more reasons that this, but these are the main ones off the
> top of my head!

Those sound to me like good reasons. But the question is whether the
associating of scripts to objects *needs* to be done within a standalone
executable ?

At first glance, it seems feasible to achieve all (or very nearly all)
of those objectives with a system like :

 - scripts are kept in the database
 - when it is time to release, a "build" script collects the scripts
from the database and sets them into the script of the various objects
 - the standalone builder is then run to create the standalone.

That would seem to get 5 out of the 6 issues covered cleanly, and could
still be usable (with slight inconvenience) by QA to rebuild with
earlier script versions.   If that was a critical issue, you could
(easily?) provide a mechanism to allow multiple versions of the scripts
to be attached, with a run-time selection between them, for QA
investigative usage.