MIDI externals

Erik Hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 01:58:53 EDT 2005

--- Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Is there an external for Windows (I think
> they're called DLL's?) that
> will select instruments and play MIDI notes
> instantly? Not necessarily
> a song sequence, but a note or chord.

i am working on something similar and could
not get Shakobox for Windows to works as
it does with Mac. am currently expanding
from 1 channel to 16 with some extra factors
and so have not tried this yet. send in time,
here we come.

here are Jacquie & Jon:

> Jacquie:
> I had some problems with that myself
> when I was testing the Windows
> version. I couldn't make it work
> until I used the technique where I
> wrote a temporary text file to disk.

I think this is the way you should do it. After
you launch
PlayCommandAgent.exe with shell(), write your
command out to a file
called c:\windows\playcmd.evt . Once you close
the file it should
pick up the command. To do 16 channels,
open/write/close the file 16 times.

Shakobox author