The KRM (Re: Revolution Compatible Registration Tool)

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Tue Aug 23 11:55:16 EDT 2005

> My concern about Kagi -- and I've been a member for a long
> time -- is
> that their rates are quite high when compared, e.g., to PayPal.

I'm with Regsoft right now and have been for some years.
But DigitalRiver have been making some noises that RegSoft
is a "ageing platform", which does not sound good.

> I'm using PayPal and a PayPal support service called SoftSeller to
> handle the soft-goods fulfillment. They charge 25 cents per download
> regardless of how many files are in the download.

I'm not rapt with PayPals rule changing.  But they are cheap.

> But none of this addresses the original concern of having partial
> software services available pending an unlock code. I think that
> requires individual scripting in the stack and some sort of
> registration process that doesn't actually deliver a product but
> rather a code that the user can use to unlock the software for full
> access. (Of course, there's no reason that you couldn't deliver a
> full version of the software as the second step, overwriting the
> original, crippled version, in which case something like
> softseller.com could work nicely.)

This is an issue that is discussed over and over on various
newsgroups.  In some ways I think it depends on the product,
the type of customer and the size of the app.  A 20 meg
app isn't an attractive option for re-download.  But a
developer tool is.  Of course - I don't write 20 meg app's.  <g>

Scott