Revolution Compatible Registration Tool

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Mon Aug 22 21:44:57 EDT 2005

> I don't suspect this kind of thing would be hard to roll your own.
> The "hard" part is coming up with an unlock code/mechanism
> that can't
> be trivially cracked.

On Windows I use Armadillo - http://www.siliconrealms.com

I've never been cracked.  It blocks Soft Ice and similar
debuggers and even if they unwrap the protective shield
around the app' I use nanomites (a feature of Armadillo)
to obfuscate critical parts of the code.  Not only are
these impossible to decipher Armadillo places over 2,500
fake entry points into the app' making cracking a nightmare.
Crackers web pages I've visited to see how Armadillo stacked
up advise wanna-be pirates to choose a program that is not
protect by Armadillo instead.  I haven't tried it with Rev
and it is *only* a Windows 32 and 64 bit tool.  It also
shrinks the final executable.

A traditional way of protecting an app' is leaving critical code
blocks out of the trial version.  There is less chance of
a hacker getting the missing code blocks and making their
own that there is for them enabling something that is disabled
for the demo.  For example - being able to add new records
to a database by providing only the code for editing and
not inserting.

Scott Kane
Moderator: comp.software.shareware.*