Spell Checker

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Aug 22 18:04:41 EDT 2005

Stephen Barncard wrote:

> How would one use this dictionary? I downloaded one of the
> dictionaries and it was not plain text. Looked like binary.

It's an XPI format file - which is basically just a ZIP format with some
special requirements for Mozilla.

Unzip it, you gets two files   xxxxxx.dic and xxxxxx.aff  which are the
"standard" myspell format. (you also get some other files you don't need
and can ignore).

(btw - this is the same format as used by OpenOffice - so you may
already have the dictionaries you need installed, in
<openoffice>/share/dict   )

http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/dictionary.html  and the links from
it will tell you how to interpret them (which I have to admit doesn't
look trivial).

(Sorry, I haven't yet written a Transcript library to do this - I found
these when I needed a word list for a game, and later decided to let the
user build their own list, so didn't ever do anything with them ....)