libURLftpUpload returns "invalid host address" error

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Aug 20 19:37:30 EDT 2005

David Beck wrote:

>Sorry for the ambiguity. For this particular customer, the attempt to upload the
>file with libURLftpUpload fails 100% of the time with libURLErrorData returning
>the "invalid host address" error. However, strangely she did say that it was
>worked for her a few times before it started failing 100% of the time. She is
>sure that her modem is connected when the problem occurs. I had her load a page
>in Explorer to confirm that and also in the screen shot she sent me I could see
>the internet connection status as "active" with bytes both sent are received in
>the task bar. I know that the URL is valid. Out of the three likely causes you
>listed, that leaves the user's DNS server. Is there a way to test that
>possibility? Do you think that is what is going on?

Open a shell window, and  at the command prompt  type
  ping www.somehost.com
(or whatever the relevant host portion of the URL is).
The first line of output should say something like ....
   Pinging www.somehost.com [<ip address>] with xx bytes of data :

Any problem with the DNS server will likely show up as either "host not
found" or "could not find host ..." or "dns request timed out" or similar.

Is it the same host portion of the address for ftp as for http / IE ?
If it's an ftp upload, does it include a username and password ?
Any chance they're wrong ?
or contain an odd character that is confusing things ?

Can you easily change it to use a numeric IP address instead of the
hostname (and if so, what error message does that give) ?