Blowing in the Wind

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sat Aug 20 10:51:05 EDT 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Todd Higgins wrote:

> Does anyone know how that would compare to a similar animation in
> Flash?

As people have said, Flash can't have shaped windows in the first
place, so this animation is out of consideration. My experience with
Flash movies in general is that they happily take up 100% of my
1.2gHx CPU. Check out the N game for an example:

http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n_screenshots.html

It's a lot of fun, by the way -- great physics model.

It's an example of something that I think could have been done with
Rev --  albeit probably not as easily as in Flash. The game takes up
everything my PowerBook has. On a 2+gHz PC, same story -- maxed CPU.
It's too bad Flash (and Rev?) isn't more graphically efficient. The N
game is less complex than what Ambrosia Software was running on a
6100 over ten years ago:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/maelstrom/

Granted, Ambrosia wrote that in C (assembly?). Still, graphics are
graphics -- move this there and composite over that, etc.