libURLftpUpload returns "invalid host address" error

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 04:33:05 EDT 2005

On 20 Aug 2005, at 02:53, David Beck wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with using libURLftpUpload returning a
> "invalid host
> address" error.
>
> I am using libURLftpUpload to upload a small file, and then check
> the result in a
> loop with the URLStatus function. Eventually, and this only happens
> for one
> particular customer, URLStatus returns its "error" result, and
> libURLErrorData
> returns "invalid host address". However, I know that the host
> address is in fact
> valid and I also know that the customer has a working internet
> connection open
> when she receives this error. (She is using a 26.4 Kbps modem.)
> What else could
> be causing this problem?? Has anybody seen this before? Is there
> something else I
> can do to further debug the issue?
>
> Any help any of the experienced rev users could give would be greatly
> appreciated. I'm stumped!

The "invalid host address" message is returned by libUrl when the
hostnameToAddress function returns an error.

Likely causes are a bad url,  a problem with the user's DNS server,
or a network connection problem.

You said "Eventually". Do you mean there is a long wait before the
result is returned, or the user does it successfully a number of
times and then it fails? If the former, is the user's modem currently
connected when the prolem occurs?

Cheers
Dave