resolution of Time in Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Aug 19 18:11:55 EDT 2005

Jon wrote:

> Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> 2. Unless you need to for some reason I don't see here, don't mess
>> around with date & time.
>

> What I'm trying to do is find a way to express "more than 60 minutes
> after the most recent time/date stamp" in such a way that it will not
> fail across noon/midnight boundaries.  In Delphi, all times are just
> expressed as floating point numbers, where each day is "1", 12 hours
> is "0.5", etc, so all of these calculations are dead triviall in that
> situation.

About as trivial as they are in Rev - use all your times in seconds and
it's just as easy (or easier - integers instead of floating point
numbers). If you want to convert them to human-readable date/time you
can - that's what convert does for you.  But if you just need  to
compare times, then I find it easier to stick to seconds.

> Ah.  More puns.  So "the seconds" means something different than
> "seconds".  I guess "the seconds" is what I was looking for all
> along.  Difficult to spot, since it is more or less a time/date
> concept masquerading as a time.  But, that said, this simplifies
> things considerably.

In my own code, I would probably use "seconds()" rather than "the
seconds"  - but it's personal preference; as a classical language
programmer, I find the function style more readable.