ISAM

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 19 16:46:25 EDT 2005

Scott Kane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Somone told be a while back aout a Revolution
> tool that was an ISAM style table system.  I've
> mamanged to lose the link...
>
> Apart from saving cards (which is on my list)
> are there any other options for single user
> acces.  MYAQL etc are to much for my users to
> deal with.  Valentino looks good but is out of
> my price range at the moment...

Depending on your indexing needs, if your data set is small enough to be
used in RAM you might consider storing your data in custom properties.

Random access of properties through array notation is lightning fast,
and sequential access is suitable.  Surprisingly, sequential access of a
simple line-delimited list is about 15-20% faster, and may also provide
a reasonable solution for tables.

I have a system I'm building which uses a mix of each, often with tab-
and line-delimited tables stored in custom properties.  It's reasonably
fast (does a 3-criteria search at the rate of about 16k records per
second) and since it's just native Transcript my client has no per-user
seat fee. :)

For more on using custom props in stack files for storage:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2002-July/006149.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal