I give up: how do you continue a line in Rev?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Aug 18 17:51:39 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> xTalk is a radically different paradigm from most other languages, and
> indeed carries much "unlearning".
>
> To help ease the journey for those familiar with other lanuguages I
> would advocate an OPTIONAL assignment syntax as you describe.
>
> As an option, xTalk purists could continue to write as they always
> have without ever needing to even think about it.
>
> <snip>
> Options that bridge the gap for today's audience will be very
> beneficial to RunRev, and by extension the rest of us regardless of
> which syntax options we prefer.

Allowing the "x = y+z" format for assignment statements is one option.
I'd almost argue for a different approach:

When in the script editor, and I hit TAB to re-layout the current
handler, the script editor already needs to scan the entire handler for
basic syntax and certain keywords. It could additionally check for lines
of the form
   single-token  assignment-operator sequence of more or more other tokens

and convert it (after asking me)  into
  put sequence ... tokens into single-token
or
 add sequence ... tokens to single-token
or
  etc.
as appropriate for the assignment operator used.

I guess a purist could say this kind of re-arrangement is different from
simple indentation - but I kinda like this idea. And it would mean that
the Transcript purists wouldn't be bothered by sample scripts showing up
in this radical new, ugly syntax :-)