I give up: how do you continue a line in Rev?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Aug 18 16:43:56 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>
>> I envy those of you who use Rev all of the time.  For the rest of us,
>> it continues to be a very frustrating experience.
>

> How many other multi-platform programming language have your learned,

4 or 5, depending how you count them ...  (actually could be more, since
I could count Fortran with two completely different multi-platform macro
and library systems).

> and how much less time did they take to master?

can't answer - I don't feel I ever "mastered" any of them :-)

But the answer for how long to get basically competent is probably
 - first one was very slow  (call it 100 time units)
 - second one wasn't entirely different, and shared some libraries - so
it was much faster (call it 50)
 - third one was a quite different language, but similar libraries (call
it 65)
 - fourth one was different GUI approach, though similar language - call
it 30 until basic, 70 until competent
 - fifth was Rev - call it 10 to get basic, 30 to get reasonable, 60 to
get started, 80 so far
                          (yes, it did feel like I went backwards for a
while :-)

As for the original question - I used a backslash without thinking about
it, just out of dumb good luck, so didn't even realize it was a question
that needed asking ....

And I think there's a serious point about "using Rev all the time ..." -
I find Rev frustrating in trivial ways when I switch between it and
Python too often (stupid little things like writing a whole section of
script like
     myVar1 = empty
    myVar2 = "this string"
before having a "Duh!" moment and re-writing it all properly with
"put"). That's entirely my fault - I know how to do it in Rev, and I
know not to blame Rev for my strong habits - but it can be frustrating.

It works better for me to try to stick to one language for a week or
more at a time. Of course, having a multiplicity of simultaneous
projects and real life rarely allow that, but when I can do it, I stop
doing this kind of silly stuff, and the frustration level drops quickly.