Spell Checker

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Aug 15 17:51:59 EDT 2005

Aloha, Derek...

Any news on your spellchecker?

I need a cross-platform one that does the following:

1) uses some standard English dictionary-word list (if you can hack
and parse the one from OSX Tiger... it's very good.)

2) has a "special" dictionary that is "locked" i.e. the user cannot
add words to it.

Context: I've got about 20 people in remote locations working on
documents which are uploaded to our server here. There is no spell
checking now. They cut and paste the text out to MSword and paste
back, in [nasty! I get strange chars introduced from this operation...]

But we have a lot of foreign, Sanskrit, Tamil, "proprietary" (company
names place names etc) words that need to be added to a "Special
Dictionary"

The spellchecker wants to be able to propose a list (a simple
algorithm will do.. even a list of words starting with the same first
letter..) that is drawn from both the standard dictionary and the
user dictionary.

The user dictionary gets updated on line.  (I can do all this part)
if the version number changes when someone goes to work, my Rev app
alerts them to download a new user dictionary... if they want to add
words to that dictionary, they have to email me suggestions.. (I
can't have 20 different people adding words locally... needs to be a
central list...)

Before I start working on this... I looked on the list and see you
have plans already in motion...

Thanks!

Sivakatirswami