uploading QuickTime movie to ftp server

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 10:04:13 EDT 2005

On 15 Aug 2005, at 12:20, Claire Bradin Siskin wrote:

>> On 15 Aug 2005, at 03:03, Claire Bradin Siskin wrote:
>>

>>> I am trying to upload a binary file (QuickTime movie) to an ftp
>>> server, using the following script:
>>>
>>>   put URL "binfile:moviefile.mov" into URL "ftp://
>>> username:password at myftpserver.edu/moviefile.mov"
>>>

>>> With this script, I get a file on the server with the correct
>>> number of bytes, but the file appears not to be binary and cannot
>>> be opened by QuickTime.
>>>

>> The syntax looks correct. All ftp transfers in Rev are done as
>> binary. When you say the file appears not to be binary, can you be
>> more specific? How are you trying to open the movie in QT, as a
>> file or as a url?
>>
>> I was able to use a similar script to upload a movie file by ftp
>> and then play it from the QT Player as a file. No problems.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dave
>>

> Hi Dave,
>
> I meant that when I try to open the file with QuickTime Player, I
> get a message saying that it cannot be played by Quicktime Player.
> So I assumed that it isn't binary. We are trying to upload it to a
> Mac OSX server, and according to Terminal, all ftp transfers are
> binary.  We are stumped on this one. :-)

I'd check the permissions on the uploaded file. Does it give read
permissions to the user who is trying to open the file with the
QuickTime Player?

Here, after uploading, I switched off both read/write access to the
file, and the Player gave the message "QuickTime cannot open the file
"test.mov" an unknown error occurred (-5000)" Is that the message you
got?

Cheers
Dave