uploading QuickTime movie to ftp server

Claire Bradin Siskin cbsiskin at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 15 07:20:53 EDT 2005

>On 15 Aug 2005, at 03:03, Claire Bradin Siskin wrote:
>
>>I am trying to upload a binary file (QuickTime movie) to an ftp
>>server, using the following script:
>>
>>   put URL "binfile:moviefile.mov" into URL
>>"ftp://username:password@myftpserver.edu/moviefile.mov"
>>

>>With this script, I get a file on the server with the correct
>>number of bytes, but the file appears not to be binary and cannot
>>be opened by QuickTime.
>
>The syntax looks correct. All ftp transfers in Rev are done as
>binary. When you say the file appears not to be binary, can you be
>more specific? How are you trying to open the movie in QT, as a file
>or as a url?
>
>I was able to use a similar script to upload a movie file by ftp and
>then play it from the QT Player as a file. No problems.
>
>Cheers
>Dave

Hi Dave,

I meant that when I try to open the file with QuickTime Player, I get
a message saying that it cannot be played by Quicktime Player. So I
assumed that it isn't binary. We are trying to upload it to a Mac OSX
server, and according to Terminal, all ftp transfers are binary.  We
are stumped on this one. :-)

Thanks for any clues,

Claire

--