[Semi-OT] Interesting article

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Aug 9 19:20:51 EDT 2005

On Aug 9, 2005, at 7:18 PM, Marielle Lange wrote:

> I wonder, what has been the "oohhh, this is interesting" moment for
> the new users on this list.

My 2 more cents:

I think elsewhere in your post you put your finger on part of the
problem. Many people on the list came to Rev from Hypercard. To take
myself as a still-very-newbie example, I was programming happily away
in Python until I got this project of reviving a tutorial I'd written
in Hypercard 835 years ago -- and Dreamcard was the obvious way to do
it. (The thought of building all that interface in wxPython was
depressing, because here's an app that's practically ALL interface &
no computational guts.) But if I hadn't had Hypercard in my head as a
model, would it have occurred to me? If you know Hypercard the
attractions of Rev are obvious; but if you don't . . . I think it's
those who don't (didn't) who need The Demo. (Even wxPython, by the
way, has a nice package of small demos that comes with the download,
exemplifying just about every widget. Porting that to Rev might be fun.)

Charles