two more noob questions re "find" command

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Tue Aug 9 14:56:00 EDT 2005

Hi Ken,

>On 8/8/05 7:14 PM, "Timothy Miller" <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  1--If I use the "find" command in the single-line message box, is
>>  there any way to get the foundchunk? How?
>
>get the foundChunk
>
>:-)

Well, thanks, you did try to help, and sent a smiley too.

I knew that. Typing "put the foundchunk" into the single-line message
box would be nearly pointless, except maybe under unusual
circumstances.

I meant, "Is there any way to write a script that will put the
foundchunk into a container when I use "find" in the single-line
message box?"

Now that you've put me on the right track with the "find" command,
the question is less important, though I'd still be interested to
know.

>You can also get the foundText, foundField, foundLine, and foundLoc.
>
>>  2--If I use the find command in a script, is there any way to script
>>  the equivalent of hitting the return key (like when I click on a
>>  button), so as to find the next item, as I would do if I were using
>>  "find" in the single-line message box? How?
>
>Just continue to execute "find" - it will pick up from the last boxed
>selection.

You're right.

I tried that already, of course. A scripting error led me to the
erroneous conclusion that the find command doesn't work that way.
That's why I inquired.

>Look in the Dictionary under "find" and all your questions will
>be answered.

That is not exactly helpful advice. I am not happy with the
implication that I use this group as a substitute for the
documentation. The following smiley didn't soften your remark
effectively.

I always study the documentation before inquiring on the group.
Unfortunately, the dictionary is not exactly user friendly, and I
don't always understand the documentation. I have a doctoral degree
and I'm a reasonably seasoned amateur hyperCard scripter. If I don't
always understand the documentation, it couldn't be ALL my fault.
We've been over that topic several times lately.

Take a look at the subject line. If you don't like dumb noob
questions, don't answer them. If everyone stops answering mine, I
will start paying Jacque for her time whenever I get stuck.

Have a nice day anyway. You probably didn't mean it quite the way it sounded.

Tim