[Semi-OT] Interesting article

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Aug 8 18:03:00 EDT 2005

On Aug 8, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Peter T. Evensen wrote:

> What I don't understand is why is Laszlo and Flex better than using
> Flash?  Flash lets you lay things out graphically. Flex and Laszlo
> are text descriptions that are compiled into flash.  To me, it is
> easier to layout a screen than to try to describe it in text.

OpenLaszlo is a powerful framework for developing applications using
the SWF format.  My impression was that it is a robust framework that
allows the developer to focus on their web app logic and let the
Laszlo framework handle the presentation.

Take a look at their ten minute demo (which is quite good) for more
info:

<http://www.laszlosystems.com/lps/laszlo-in-ten-minutes/>

It seemed to me that the philosophy of the Laszlo people at their
presentation was this:  web app developers spend most of their time
writing code and not much time in the Flash GUI and most of them have
a preferred text editor.  Their framework takes care of a lot of the
transition animation and other niceties that the developer might want
so it is pretty straightforward to just code these things in.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com