SCRIPTS IN GROUPS

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 13:13:15 EDT 2005

On Aug 6, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> While I'm not sure this can be characterized as a bug, I'd call it
> a surprising feature. And it has a particularly intriguing problem
> if you have multiple background groups. In that case, the
> background groups live in layers, of course, each of which is the
> effective size of the card. So the topmost background intercepts
> all mouseUps (and presumably other such messages) that fall outside
> the bounds of any object or other group on the card. I can see
> where that might cause a programming dilemma or at least confusion.
>
> I don't think it's necessary to avoid putting scripts in groups,
> but it is necessary to be careful what messages you write scripts
> for in the groups so that you can handle the flow of messages
> properly.

I'm actually surprised to hear you, as a HyperCard user, say this,
i.e. that is a surprising feature.  I may be wrong about this but I
had thought the background property was implemented in large part for
compatability with HyperCard.  And while it's been years since I've
used HC, as I recall in HC, a click outside any other objects would
go through to the background which covered the entire card.
Personally, the feature that  I found surprising when I started using
rev was that you could have more than one background.

Spence

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at charter.net

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"