Reply to self -- command period with answer dialog

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Aug 5 14:29:12 EDT 2005

I haven't quite mastered Revzilla, or maybe it's not working quite right.

Anyway, I just discovered, belatedly, that this issue has been
reported twice, in slightly different forms, on Bugzilla. (Some
subscribers might want to vote for it, though.)

In the immortal words of the Supreme Being, conveyed to us by Douglas
Adams, "Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Tim

>Unless I've overlooked something, a command-period will not halt a
>script when an answer dialog is on the screen, waiting for a
>mouseclick. Ideally, command-period would cause an exit to top, it
>seems to me.
>
>Does this represent
>
>--a technical obstacle, possibly because of multi-platform-ism?
>
>--a feature I don't understand?
>
>--unintentional user unfriendliness?
>
>Answer dialogs sometimes are the ideal tool for quick and dirty
>debugging. They are less useful if you can't interrupt a script
>immediately when an answer dialog shows you where the problem is.
>
>Of course, one could always add an "exit" button to the answer
>dialog box, and a few more lines of script, which would cause an
>exit to top. But then it isn't quick and dirty anymore.
>
>Just a thought. Not a real high priority issue.
>
>Cheers,

Tim