design of radio-button choice

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Aug 5 02:33:08 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

> Thanks -- and to Alex, too -- I hadn't thought of grouping the check-
> boxes. I'm first going to try a simpler & more permissive approach
> and see how the user-experience feels, but if that's not satisfactory
> I'll do the second group.

That's (kind of) why I suggested a global rather than disabling the
check boxes.

There's a danger of the user seeing those click boxes and being
frustrated by the fact that he wants to click one of them (to move on to
the next question?) and isn't allowed to. That's how *I* feel sometimes
about UIs - even if the UI guidelines say you should disable controls
that aren't available.   So I thought that my

on mouseUp
   if gStillWaiting then
      pass mouseUp
   end if
could become

on mouseUp
   if gStillWaiting then
      answer "You must finish this step before going on to the next.
Don't be impatient!"
      pass mouseUp
   end if