"Decompile" Windows RR application

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 4 16:00:39 EDT 2005

On 8/4/05 12:44 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Hmmmm.
>
> I'm glad this worked but does the fact that it is so (relatively)  easy
> and straightforward to decompile a compiled application bother  anyone
> in terms of marketability issues for Rev?
>
> Or am I just overly paranoid?

I'll let a shrink decide that. ;) But this isn't really any different
than anything else in Rev. If the app is not passworded, you can read
all the scripts in a text editor. If it is, then you can't. If someone
decompiles the app back to a stack and it is passworded, the scripts are
still protected.

That said, I wrote my own decompiler about 5 years ago. I kept the
information strictly to myself. It was necessary because a client had 18
apps for me to work on, which they owned, but had lost the source
stacks. I had to decompile.

I suspect other people may have written their own too in the past, but
we all kept the information private. When someone released the script to
the public I was very disappointed. So if it is paranoia, I guess it is
shared. Even though when I think about it rationally I don't see much to
worry about, I think it was a mistake.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com