Single Point Property Creation/Assignment

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Aug 4 00:02:49 EDT 2005

Hi gang,
I'm creating a central management system for settings using user properties.
I want to use one central routine to access the preferences stack.

To do that, I am working with a handler that creates and sets a
custom property INSIDE a custom property set - all set at once. I got
the below code to work.

My question is -- is the use of 'do' the only or best way to
accomplish the use of variables for assigning property names and
data? Or am I missing the obvious?

Would SetProp be better for this?
any suggestions welcome... thanks

on test
   -- beep 5
   put "cats" into pPropSet
   put "kadiska" INTO pProp
   put "kitten" into pData
   put returnTheDefaultPrefsFileName() into pPath

   dataToProp pPropSet,pProp,pData,pPath
end test

on dataToProp pPropSet,pProp,pData,pPath
   if pPath is empty
   then
     put returnTheDefaultPrefsFileName() into pPath
   end if
   do "set the" && pPropSet & "[" &  quote &  pProp & quote & "] of
stack " & quote & pPath & quote  & " to " & pData
end dataToProp

function returnTheDefaultPrefsFileName
   put specialFolderPath("Preferences") into sfp
   put "/" &  "preference.rev after sfp
   return sfp
end returnTheDefaultPrefsFileName