when can I set a substack's properties?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 20:46:50 EDT 2005

Hi Charles,

You can do a LOT with a substack without officially opening it.

- I'm assuming you're talking about a substack of a stack that's already
open. If so, the substack is already in memory.

- You can get/set its properties.

- You can run its handlers by invoking them directly:
   send "doSomething" to stack "sub1".

- If you 'start using' the substack, you can use its image object IDs as
icon IDs of your mainstack buttons. (It'll sometimes work even if you
don't 'start using' it, but it'll *definitely* work if you do.)

You can do all these same things to any unopened stack. But in the case
of an unopened stack that's not already in memory, the first thing that
happens when you "touch" it in any way is that is gets loaded into
memory. This means you can preload stacks into memory before opening
them by just referencing something about them. Then later when you "go
to" them, the navigation doesn't take as long. This can be helpful if
you're going to a large stack.

HTH.

Phil Davis