[OT] Pigs Fly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 2 20:17:41 EDT 2005

Judy Perry wrote:
> Whew!  I'm feeling better already.
>
> I'm in agreement with Raskin on the uni-button mouse being preferrable for
> error-reduction.

Three factors come into play, with error-reduction being one of them.
The other is productivity, and a third being learnability.

I have no doubt Raskin got it right with error-reduction, and of course
a single-button mouse will score higher on learnability by virtue of
having less to learn.

But the question manufacturers face in the 21st century is:

   "Does our audience today have enough experience with
    mice to use a multi-button mouse more productively
    than a single-button mouse?"

Apple seems to have answered that question well.

The single-button mouse was revolutionary for adoption of modern GUIs --
thank you Mr. Engelbart.

But the majority of today's computer purchasers have previous experience
with computing, are quite comfortable with mice, and can take advantage
of the productivity gains of multi-button mice with far less trouble
than yesterday's newbies.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation