global problems

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 2 19:13:58 EDT 2005

Jon wrote:
> I agree: it is unfortunate that the original language designers used the
> term "global" to mean "persistent global".  Had they separated the
> concept of scope from the concept of variable duration/lifetime, the
> language would have been equally powerful while being easier to understand.

What is a non-persistent global?

In any language I've worked with, you declare a global and it stays in
memory until you delete it or quit the program.

I don't know of any language that deletes globals automatically based on
whether the app closes or opens files from disk.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal