[OT] Pigs Fly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 2 16:12:54 EDT 2005

Just as I'd heard from Punxatawny Phil, the Prognosticator of
Prognosticators, Apple is finally joining the rest of the industry in
shipping a multi-button mouse for its customers:

New Mouse for Macs Has Multiple Buttons
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/apple_s_new_mouse;_ylt=As1C3mk3YMOhH9.n16yV7fYDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl>

While somewhat trivial, this says two great things for us multi-platform
developers:

1. We're now more motivated than ever to implement extensive right-click
menus throughout our apps.  These are often overlooked by Mac
developers, but are a critical part of the Windows user experience and
implementing them thoroughly in many case will raise the perceived
professionalism of your Windows releases and increase sales.

2. Any time Apple moves beyond the old symptoms of NIH Syndrome and
plays nice with the rest of the industry they should be applauded, as it
makes our work as software designers much simpler. This is a healthy
sign of organizational maturity, a clear acknowledgement that the
industry and their audience has become more sophisticaed with mouse use
since 1984.

First MacTel, now multi-button mice.  Now if only Windows would follow
suit and correct the positions of their dialog box buttons we'd all be
in platform-independence heaven. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal