global problems

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Aug 2 15:13:15 EDT 2005

Jacque-

Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 8:07:41 AM, you wrote:

> Globals are necessary when one has a suite of stacks that must interact
> as a unit. One very common example is a "find" handler. Assume a number
> of data stacks, each a clone of the others. A handler asks what you want
> to find and puts that string into a global. The next time the user wants
> to find something, you can use the same string to allow a persistent
> search across many stacks.

Yes, I do understand what globals are and why one may want to use
them. I do actually use them, albeit sparingly. My conceptual problem
here is with the persistence of global variables in the IDE once the
stack or suite of stacks that used them has been purged from memory.

In your example, can you think of a reason for the "find" string to
persist after you have closed the suite of stacks that initialized and
used the find handler and you've gone on to work on another project?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net