global problems

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Aug 2 02:42:59 EDT 2005

Chipp-

> Yep, I think you are missing something VERY basic.

> Globals are just that, they exist forever until you explicitly delete
> them. That's how they've always worked in all Xtalks I've ever used.

> You of course have a choice whether to use them or not. I, enjoy using
> them as I find they have many 'upsides' versus custom properties (I use
> them too). I especially like the fact they don't persist between
> application launches.

And I still can't imagine a scenario in which you would want a global
left over from a previous stack *only for that session*. I'll warrant
that I may still be missing something VERY basic, but it still makes
no sense to me.

> Of course, if like others, you smartly name your globals with a 'g'
> prefix, you will never have the 'collision' problem you describe, as
> like-named locals can also be prefixed with 'l'.

<grin> ...normally I do use a 'g' prefix, but then my use of globals
is almost always an act of desperation or as something quick and dirty
and later refactoring usually eliminates them.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net