simple custom property question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 1 23:12:44 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05 10:03 PM, "Charles Hartman" <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu> wrote:

> One more question (for now!) about this operation: how do I get rid
> of it? In testing, I've opened the substack half a dozen times -- and
> there are half a dozen copies of the group in the substack. Obviously
> I've got to dump 'em somehow (in a script when the stack closes?),
> but how? They're there under the original name, from the main stack
> -- if I delete the group, will it get deleted in the main stack too?

No, those are copies... you just need to be specific, as in:

  delete group "MyGroup" of stack "MySubStack"

If you just say:

  delete group "MyGroup"

it isn't specific enough and the interpreter will try to find the group
"MyGroup" on the topstack, which means that if your main stack *is* the
topstack, you end up deleting the "original". If your substack is the
topstack, it will delete it from the substack. Better to make in
non-ambiguous and specify the full path to the group.

BTW:, I'd recommend renaming the groups as soon as they are copied. One of
the nice things is that the "it" variable contains the long ID to the newly
created or copied group. So you can do this:

  copy group "MyTemplateGroup" of stack "MyMainStack" to stack "mySubStack"
  set the name of it to "Copy 1"
  copy group "MyTemplateGroup" of stack "MyMainStack" to stack "mySubStack"
  set the name of it to "Copy 2"

So you'd have two copies of the group on the substack, one neamed Copy 1 and
the other named Copy 2.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software