Spotlight indexing: feature request proposal

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Aug 1 16:17:45 EDT 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 12:01 PM, david bovill wrote:

> I am looking for ways to add metadata to external files using
> Spotlight - video files in particular from within Revolution. I
> think it would be very useful if the stack indexing suggestions was
> extended to standard Apple file formats or to any file format with
> an existing system level spotlight metadata plugin (you'd need to
> know or parse the plist structure).
>
> In the meantime I'm looking to use AppleScript or the command line
> tools - but not got anything working yet - any ideas?

Spotlight already indexes QuickTime video annotations plus the new
stuff that QT7 added.  You can use applescript to set annotations.
There are some scripts here:

<http://www.apple.com/applescript/quicktime/>

You can also use the EnhancedQT external to set and get movie
annotations (qtSetMovieAnnotation and qtGetMovieAnnotation) but you
have to do a save as to save the movie after wards since Rev doesn't
allow you to open a QuickTime movie and then save it.

You can get more info on the external at <http://mangomultimedia.com/
developer/revolution/enhancedqt.html>.

--
Trevor DeVore