MySQL Connection error

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 1 16:00:02 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05 2:48 PM, "George Brackett" <gbrackett at luceatlux.com> wrote:

> "There was an error in connecting to the database. Please check that the
> connection fields are correct. Revdb error: Client does not support
> authentication protocol requested by server, consider upgrading MySQL
> client."
>
> The client fields are definitely correct (I'm using them to connect
> to the
> server from other GUI MySQL tools). I'm using Revolution Studio 2.6 and
> MySQL 4.1.13 on Tiger 10.4.2.
>
> Any thoughts or workarounds?

Yes, we ran into this just recently. You need to change the password that is
stored in the DB to the "old" (pre-4.1) format for compatiblity with
everybody. This is the syntax at the mysql prompt (using "tempUser" as the
user name, "localhost" as the host, and "mypass" for the password):

  set password for "tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass");

And if done through the shell in Rev, do this (uses the root user with no
password and a database called "tempDB"):

  get shell("/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --user='root' --password=''
--database='tempDB' --execute='set password for
"tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass")')

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software