simple custom property question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 1 14:06:16 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05 12:48 PM, "Charles Hartman" <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu> wrote:

> So "any kind of data" (as in, "You can define custom properties for
> any object, and use them to store any kind of data.") doesn't mean
> "any kind of data," it means various "multimedia" kinds of data --
> but not Rev objects?

Actually the problem is that there isn't a way to "get" the binary of a
specific object in Rev... so you can store regular variable data, plus any
binary file that you can read from disk. So since there's no way to directly
dump a group to disk, the only thing that can be done is to dump the stack
that *contains* the group to disk - but that's not what you want.

> Since the rest of the data I need to send to each instance of the
> dialog will be stored in an array built from custom properties --
> that seems to be the Rev-"native" way to do it -- it feels peculiar
> to have to call up a different data stream for the operation. I
> suppose I'm just being fussy.

I'm curious... why won't "copy group" solve your problem? That's currently
the Rev-native way to do this kind of stuff (unless I'm not understanding
correctly what you're trying to do).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/