Rev & OOP

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Apr 30 14:31:09 EDT 2005

Oh, darn. I was sort of hoping this thread would fizzle out. Then you
had to throw down a gauntlet, Rob, and you know how I am about
gauntlets (and, for that matter, things littering the landscape like
thrown gauntlets)....

I spent MANY years training and conditioning myself to think about the
world around me in terms of objects. From a programming perspective, I
find myself always more comfortable dealing with objects in the sense
in which Smalltalk and Java (and decidedly NOT C++) think about them.
OOP languages and OODBMS tools have *always* been more productive for
me than procedural and relational models because once I trained myself
to "think in objects," those approaches felt -- and were -- unnatural
to me.

Far from being the "buzz concept du jour," OOP has been around, viable
and in many places on the globe an all-but-inviolate standard for more
than 30 years.

Now, that is not to say or suggest that every programming language that
isn't strict OOP isn't usable or useful. Far from it. I use Revolution
and Transcript because, even though it's not an OO environment, it is
what I refer to in my books as "object-LIKE." That is, it represents
enough of an accommodation of the key ideas of object orientation to be
usable and useful on medium-sized, single-programmer projects involving
non-object data. But I must say that if I had a choice of using an
equivalent development environment that was syntactically as clean as
Transcript or Smalltalk or Python and gave me the advantages of
Revolution (cross-platform delivery while developing on my platform of
choice, true stand-alone creation, great widget library, transparent
database access), I'd switch in a New York nanosecond. The truth is, no
such tool exists yet.

So I would agree that the programmer who rejected Revolution out of
hand without digging more deeply into the advantages it offers and
shares with OO environments was hasty and ill-advised (and probably, as
you say, more interested in eliminating alternatives than in finding
the correct one). But to dismiss OO out of hand is, IMNSHO, equally
short-sighted. As you so rightly say, the two big concerns are
programmer productivity and code maintainability. And in those
respects, Transcript is awfully hard to beat.

FWIW.