To Rev or not to Rev

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Sat Apr 30 10:48:05 EDT 2005

Jim,

In the early days of HC (circa 1987/88) I was already facing this
kind of objection from C or Pascal programers...
Even in the early 80's when I was experimenting with Logo, I used
to hear similar comments...

Tell your ISP that (today more than ever) only 1 thing matters :
how much time (and therefore $$$) does it take to produce reliable and
fast code to the satisfaction of your clients...
Show him a few apps made with Rev and ask him how much time (and
$$$) it would take to do the same with Java, C, etc.
Then ask him to compare the learning curve between Rev, Java, C...
One anecdote : a few years ago a friend of mine asked me to teach him
the basics of HC (he already had an experience of coding in Basic).
In less than 1 hr I managed to teach him the basic concepts, and soon he
was up and running... I'm sure the same story could apply to Rev, since
the basic concepts of both tools are similar...

As someone already said, your ISP answer is a way to avoid any depth
analysis of Rev capabilities... It's also the usual answer from ppl who
usually struggle with complex programing environments and who are
bitter to see other ppl developping sophisticated apps 2 to 5 times faster...

JB