Unicode problem

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Apr 28 20:10:32 EDT 2005

Aloha, Ton:

Could you send me your stack off list? I do a *lot* of work getting
text in and out of InDesign, every day, every week. I'm interested in
seeing how this works.

You said: "InDesign uses OpenType or double-byte fonts. These are
unicode fonts."

Tell us more!  :-) where can you get info on IDCS internal coding...
I'm especially interested in controlling the encoding of exported XML
files which would them be programatically worked over in Revolution or
BBedit and then reloaded into InDesign. In particular, to find a way to
have everything move through in the same encoding spec UTF-8 or
UTF-16.. both of these give  troubles in one context or another and I
haven't quite figured out what is going on... and I don't see a place
in IDCS to set the encoding format for XML export.

and your S & R stack could be very useful here. Are you tying in with
AppleScript?

And (one more...) is the Revolution UnicodeText in UTF-8 or UTF-16...
or is this not even a valid question? Typical scenarios here would be:
export XML from InDesign, run through some program in Revolution, save
as a text file, open in BBEdit manually fix things, save, use for the
web or  import with tags mapped to styles back into InDesign... at this
point, I usually hit a wall at one transformation point or
another...characters are all "messed up" and I don't know how to get
back to what was in InDesign in the first place...

Aside: Do you know if Adobe is using some unicode code points from the
private block for white space?

Best from Hawaii

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications